Ingredients – (Pickling Liquid)
- 3 quarts beets (about 24 small)
- 3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Sterilize jars, (Pints or Quarts) Fill water bath canner, bring the jars to a boil.
- To make your pickling liquid, combine all ingredients except beets in a large sauce pot.
- Bring you vinegar water mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Cook (boil) the beets and remove the skins.
- Let cooked beets sit until cool enough to handle (or cover with cool water to speed up the process), then remove the skins.
- They should slip off easily, with just a little help from a paring knife on stubborn spots.
- Slice or cut beets into evenly sized sections so they fit in the jars more easily.
- Pack beets into hot/warm jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Ladle hot pickling liquid over beets, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with a thin plastic spatula of chopstick.
- Wipe jar rims and screw on two-piece caps until finger tight.
- Process pints or quarts 30 minutes in a boiling water canner.
- Remove from water canner into a towel.
Tip: you can also use a dishwasher without soap, the dry cycle heat sterilized them.