Skip to main content
- 1 Qt Water
- 1/2 Lb Orzo Pasta
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion – sliced pole to pole
- 1/2 Fennel Bulb – thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 Pork Sausages – casings removed
- 1 Bunch Fresh Collards (Spinach, Kale, or other leafy green vegetable)- rinsed, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Pecorino Cheese – grated
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring 1 quart of generously salted water to a boil.
- Add the Orzo, reduce the heat to medium-low. Gently boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until much of the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion and fennel.
- Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausages breaking them apart with a wooden spoon.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until all ingredients are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- When much of the water for the orzo has been absorbed and the consistency is soupy, stir in the collard greens and butter and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage mixture and cheese. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.