Ingredients for the lamb stew:
2 Lbs Lamb Stew Meat
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Ghee /Clarified Butter
1 Quart Beef Broth
1/2 Cup Vadouvan Spice Blend*
3 Carrots – Peeled and sliced into big chunks
1/2 Head of Cauliflower – cut into florets
3 Shallots – peeled and cut in half lengthwise
Ingredients for the Radish Raita:
1 Cup of Plain Yogurt
1/4 Cup of Radish – minced
1 Tbsp Red Onion – minced
6 Fresh Mint Leaves – minced
2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- Cut the lamb into bite sized cubes. Place the flour on a large plate; add a dash of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir to combine. Dredge the lamb cubes in the flour so that each piece is lightly dusted.
- Heat the ghee in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add 1/2 of the lamb cubes in a single layer.
- Do not overcrowd the pieces. Sear on all sides.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and set aside on a plate while you repeat with the remaining half of lamb.
- Remove the 2nd batch from the pot and set aside.
- Add 1 cup of beef broth to the pan and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon.
- Allow the beef broth to reduce by half.
- Add the Vadouvan* spice blend.
- Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pot and stir to coat with the spice mixture.
- Pour the remaining beef broth over the lamb to cover.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally
- .Add the carrots, cauliflower and shallots, stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the Raita, cover and chill until the stew is ready. Serve the Raita alongside the stew to provide a cooling balance to the spicy heat of the stew.
Serve with Naan or Rice