Roasted Carrot Soup
Roasted Carrot Tomato Soup. An easy roasted carrot soup with garlic, cumin, and Greek yogurt to make it creamy and filling. Simple, healthy, and delicious!
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 6 large carrots)
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, plus additional for serving
- Fresh basil (optional, for serving)
- Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously coat two baking sheets with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place the carrots, onions, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, and pepper.
- Toss to evenly coat, then spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, ensuring that the vegetables do not crowd one another.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning twice throughout, until the vegetables are tender and browned.
- Let cool on the pans for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables cool, drain the juice from the tomato cans into a small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside.
- Working in two batches, add half of the roasted vegetables to a food processor fitted with a steel blade or to a blender.
- Add 1 can of the drained tomatoes. Purée until smooth, then pour the purée into a 4-quart or larger heavy-bottomed pot, such as a Dutch oven. Repeat with the remaining vegetables and tomatoes, then add to the pot.
- Stir in the reserved tomato juices, basil, yogurt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes, until fully heated through.
- Taste and add additional salt and/or pepper as desired.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh basil and/or additional Greek yogurt.
- Leftover Roasted Carrot Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
All images and text ©. /Well Plated