Skip to main content
- 2 Cups Sliced Rhubarb
- 3 Thin Slices of Fresh Ginger
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Pastry Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter – cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine the rhubarb, fresh ginger, sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the rhubarb has softened and is falling apart, about 15 minutes.
- Strain into a bowl pressing on the rhubarb and ginger to release the juices.
- Pour the strained rhubarb-ginger syrup into a bottle or jar and refrigerate. (Save the syrup for making Rhubarb Ginger Soda).
- Allow the rhubarb pulp to cool then remove and discard the sliced ginger.
- Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, brown sugar, walnuts and butter in a bowl. Work with your fingers to a crumbly texture.
- Butter a 9×9 square baking dish.
- Pour 3/4 of the oat mixture into the dish and press firmly to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the rhubarb pulp over this and then top with the remaining 1/4 of the oat mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool and then slice into squares.