Recipe and photo by Catie Baumer Schwalb, PitchforkDiaries.com
- 4 TBS melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups flour (can use a combination of AP flour and whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Oil baking tins.
- Thoroughly mix the wet ingredients (melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, mashed sweet potato, eggs, crème fraiche) together in a bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, except for pecans, (four, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon) in separate bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet, a little at a time, until evenly combined.
- Fold in chopped pecans.
- Fill baking tins 3/4 of the way with batter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until lightly browned on top.