Skip to main content
- 6 pounds of short ribs
- Kosher salt and pepper to season ribs
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
- 3 cups of red wine(I used Cabernet sauvignon)
- 3 cups of low sodium organic beef OR homemade beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- A handful of thyme.
- Season ribs with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven brown short ribs at a medium heat for about half an hour, remove ribs and set aside.
- Brown vegetables for another 3 minutes add wine and bring to a boil.
- Put ribs into Dutch oven let marinate overnight in fridge (I marinated them for only 6 hours).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- When you are ready add three cups of water or broth, to Dutch oven (or a bit more to cover all ribs) bring to a boil on the stove top.
- Place in oven at 325 degrees and cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- You can serve them without broiling them if you like them soft, I prefer broil them because it makes the fat crispy and delicious.
- Broil for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with pan juices; you might want to skim off fat.