Ingredients for the waffles:
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 2/3 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Pumpkin or Butternut Squash *
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
Ingredients for the Apples:
- 4 Small Apples – peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- Beat the eggs, oil and sugar together. Blend in the pumpkin, maple syrup, water and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour and mix until just combined. Don’t overwork it.
- Pour the batter into a preheated waffle iron and cook until crisp on the outside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the apple slices, toss to coat them with the butter and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes, turning them occasionally.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and nutmeg over the apples and toss to coat.
- Stir in the maple syrup and continue to cook for another minute.
- Serve each waffle with a spoonful of the apples over the top.