- 6-8 Roma tomatoes
- 8 green onions
- 1 small white onion
- 3 Chile peppers (Jalapeño, Serrano or Anaheim)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- Over a medium fire, grill whole tomatoes, peppers and white onion, turning occasionally.
- Remove from heat when the outer skin is browned but not cooked through.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and peel the tomatoes and peppers.
- In a medium-size bowl mash the peeled tomatoes with a fork until the desired chunkiness.
- Coarsely chop the peppers, white onion and green onion.
- Add the onion, fresh cilantro, peppers, minced garlic, salt and lime juice to the tomatoes.
- Stir until well combined. To increase the heat, add more peppers or use a hotter pepper such as Scotch bonnet or habanero.
- This salsa will keep for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe from P. Allen Smith’s Veggies & Herbs card collection, featuring 27 of Smith’s favorite herbs and vegetables, as well as corresponding recipes for a true garden-to-table experience. Browse this and other P. Allen Smith books and publications at www.pallensmith.com.