For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
For the icing:
10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Directions for the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper.
- Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time.
- Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and ginger.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.
Directions for the icing:
Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended. Beat in maple syrup.
- Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on platter.
- Spread with 3/4 cup icing.
- Top with second layer.
- Spread remaining icing over entire cake.