Eggplant season is upon us here in the Catskills! Here are some tips for perfectly cooked eggplant:
- Remove the skin
- The skin of eggplants can be thick, so one option is to peel the skin off and cube it to sauté or roast.
- Leave space between slices to allow for even cooking
- Make sure the eggplant is in a single layer and flip them over halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Limit the amount of oil
- Instead of adding oil to the pan, brush eggplant with oil to avoid too much absorption.
- Brine the eggplant
- Mix water, salt, and spices and soak the eggplant in the brine for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Pre-salt the eggplant
- Salt the eggplant to allow for water droplets to form, then pat dry. This removes excess moisture from the eggplant.
- Make sure to choose the proper eggplant
- Pick an eggplant that is heavy for its size, dark, and firm.
- Avoid undercooking
- Eggplant takes anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes to cook.
Be sure to check out our website for a list of farmers’ markets to find local eggplant near you!