The Woodsmen’s Club from the SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill returns to Hanford Mills to demonstrate cross-cut sawing, overhand and underhand chop, ax throwing and other lumberjack skills. The speed and precision of these talented college students is amazing to watch.
In 2019, the Woodsmen’s Festival featured:
- Traditional cooper Bob Allers
- Music by Fennig’s All Stars (1-4 pm)
- My Woodlot (resources for landowners and outdoor activities)
- New York Chapter of the American Chestnut Society
- GTO Woodturning
- Woodworkers Carl Stoner and James Cleaveland,
- Catskill Forest Association
- Catharina Kessler and her handmade Swedish style, traditional mittens and hats
- Shaver Hill Farm maple syrup and candy
- Gilson’s Native American Crafts
- Intelligent Green Solutions
- Steam-power and water-power demonstrations in the historic sawmill, gristmill, and woodworking shop
- Tickled Pink BBQ
- Mill-made crafts, traditional toys, books, and local products for sale in the Museum Shop
- The Cooperstown Graduate Program offered a fun slate of activities for kids. And, there’s blocks, gears to build with in the Learning Lab.
- Kevin Gray making 19th century style tintypes.
“The first mill was built on this site in 1846,” says Museum executive director Liz Callahan. “For generations and generations, Hanford Mills supplied the community with lumber and wood products they needed for their homes, businesses, and farms. The Woodsmen’s Festival celebrates this history, and is an opportunity to demonstrate how we still use water power to run the Mills’ machines. We also want to highlight the work of today’s woodworkers, craftspeople, lumberjacks, and organizations that work to protect and enhance our forests.”
The Woodsmen’s Festival is included with regular Museum admission, which is free for children 12 and under, and Museum members. Woodsmen’s Festival activities are planned through 4 pm; the Museum site is open until 5 pm.
Museum Neighbors residing in the following zip codes receive FREE admission (with proof of residency): 13757, 13739, 13786, 13750, and 13806.